Accela Online Permit System

Before You Begin

Technical Requirements

Allow pop-ups from this site before proceeding.

Required Information

To complete the application, you will need:

  • The University Representative or Project Manager name
  • University of Minnesota Project Number or Work Task ID
  • Project valuation (contract value)

Instructions for Permit Application

Expand all

Create An Account (New Users)

Before using the Accela Online Permit System for the first time, you must create an account.

  1. Visit the Accela website.
  2. In the upper-right hand corner of the Accela page, click the Register for an Account link.
  3. Accept the terms and conditions by selecting the checkbox and click the Continue Registration button.
  4. Enter all of the requested information in the Login Information section
  5. In the Contact Information section, click the Add New button to add how to fill in the contact information on the application.  Select the type of contact from the drop down and click Continue. Complete the required fields and click Continue.
  6. Click on Continue Registration.
  7. A confirmation message will be sent to the email address that was entered.

Apply for a Permit

Log in and Choose Your Permit Type

  1. Log in to the Accela online permit system
  2. Choosing Your Permit Type
    1. Choose the Applications tab in the top navigation bar
    2. Check the General Disclaimer box and continue
    3. Select your permit type

To select your permit type, click the arrow  in front of the word Building. These links will expose a list of available permit types. Click the button next to your permit type and then click Continue Application. 

Enter Permit Information

Tab 1: Applicant
  1. Contact List: You must have an applicant (you). Click on Select from Account, click on Applicant on Type, and click Continue.
  2. Licensed Professional/Contractor List: On all applications, you must have a University Rep/Project Manager.  Some trades will require a master from your organization.  Please read the on-screen instructions.
  3. Attachment: Use for plans or other documents to attach to the application – click Continue Application.
Tab 2: ASI
  1. Enter project number and/or work order number. POs are not acceptable and will slow down your application process. 
  2. Enter the Detailed Description of Work.
  3. Address:
  • If you have only a work order number and do not know the campus number and building number, please call 612-625-2437 for assistance.
  • If you have a project number or know your campus and building number, please follow these directions:
  • Campus: Add the first two digits of your project number (01 or 02, etc).
  • Building: Add next three digits of your project number (001 or 044...).
  • Click Search.
  • If the address and locator # fields do not populate, call 612-625-2437 for assistance.

The rest of the page is information you will have.  When finished click on Continue Application.

Tab 3: Review 

This next page asks you to review your application.  When done reviewing, go to the bottom of the page and click on Continue Application again.

Tab 4

This page will tell you the application has been received and it will give you a number starting with a letter (B, P, E, U, M, F, S, G) – 20 (year) - then 4 digits.

Use this permit number when communicating with the Building Code Department. Please keep it somewhere where you will be able to access it.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

How Do I Find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

This is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner's Rep. This is the employee at the University of Minnesota (CPM, FM, UConstruction, System Campus, Research and Outreach Centers) who is responsible to ensure that the work is ready for the permitting process to begin.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you (department, college, primary contractor, etc.).

Getting a Project or Work Order Number

You need only a University of Minnesota project number OR University of Minnesota work order number. Call Facilities Management Call Center 612-624-2900 for instruction to receive a project number. Only University of Minnesota Employees may apply for project numbers. Work order numbers should be obtained from your University Rep. If you are a contractor, please talk to your University Project Manager.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

Average time may vary anywhere between 2 days to 2 weeks and will depend on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals. It may take longer.

Which Inspections Are Required?

All projects that require a permit also require an inspection of work. The types of inspections required are determined based on project criteria and are assigned within the online permitting system (Accela). Once you complete a permit application through the online permitting system, you will be provided with a list of required inspections and information about how to schedule an inspection. For more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.

How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check or credit card or with a U of M EFS account number (available for U of M departments). A total of all fees due will display in the Fees section of the online application once your permit application has been reviewed and fees have been invoiced.

Paying by Check

Fees assessed will be processed when BCD accepts your check. After payment, you will receive an e-mail that your permit has been issued and you may print your Permit and Inspection Report.

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department. During COVID-19, checks can only be submitted via mail at the address below. Please also email BCD at [email protected] when you mail the check.

University of Minnesota Building Code Department 
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Directions to our office can be found on the campus map.

Paying by Credit Card

You may pay by credit card only at the time you receive an e-mail stating that your permit is ready to be issued. Locate the permit number and pay the fees associated. Once the fees are paid, the permit status will reflect “Issued”. Print both the Permit and Inspection Report.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Enter a correct budget string when you are applying for the permit; you will be notified when the permit is approved. The fees will display as paid and you will be able to print the Permit and Inspection Report.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

To print your permit documents:

  1. Visit our online permit system and sign in. 
  2. Click the Search Application Link from the Permit Application Home Page or from a link on the permit application page to locate your permit.
  3. Click on the Application ID.
  4. Click on the Reports link in the upper-right hand corner of the screen. The number in parentheses indicates the number of reports that are available to print.
  5. Click on the document name to open it and select the printer icon in the upper-left corner to print.

Which Documents Am I Required to Post on My Project Site?

All Inspection and Permit Reports are required to be posted at the job site. Inspectors will not provide the requested inspection without these posted documents.