Application Requirements for Fire Permits

In accordance with the Minnesota State Fire Code (MSFC), permits are required for any installation, addition, extension, alteration or replacement of a fire system or fire system element. The Minnesota Fire Code requires plans and specifications to be submitted to the authority having jurisdiction and approved prior to construction of any new fire system or prior to any changes to an existing fire system.

Expand all

Which Projects Need a Fire Permit?

A fire permit must be obtained by a licensed (contractor) for any installationadditionextensionalteration or replacement made to fire system.

Separate utility permits must be obtained for any outside underground fire service water line or connection to a municipal utility system. Common permitted fire system work includes but is not limited to the following:

  • Fire suppression
  • Automatic sprinkler system
  • Fire alarm
  • Fire protection water supply
  • Emergency and standby power systems
  • Kitchen hoods
  • Smoke control systems
  • Fire pumps
  • Hazardous materials use or storage
  • Fire hydrants
  • Fuel dispensing
  • LP gas
  • Underground fuel tanks
  • Tents/temporary structures

How Do I find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

This is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner's Rep. This is the employee at the University of Minnesota (CPM, FM, UConstruction, System Campus, Research and Outreach Centers) who is responsible to ensure that the work is ready for the permitting process to begin.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you (department, college, primary contractor, etc.).

Getting a Project or Work Order Number

You need only a University of Minnesota project number OR University of Minnesota work order number. Call Facilities Management Call Center 612-624-2900 for instruction to receive a project number. Only University of Minnesota Employees may apply for project numbers. Work order numbers should be obtained from your University Rep. If you are a contractor, please talk to your University Project Manager.

Which Documents Are Required to Receive a Permit?

The documents listed below are required at time of permit submittal so that Building Code Department (BCD) staff can complete their plan reviews and grant approval for your project. Permitting time will depend on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals.

Two complete sets of the following plans, specifications, and submittal documents for the work being performed are required at time of permit application: 

  • Completed online permit application
  • Description of work
  • Utility site plan 
  • Floor plans
  • Material specifications
  • Sprinkler system plans / type of NFPA system / calculations / sizing
  • Fire alarm plans / appliances / controls / listing information for the system
  • Fire protection system plans / type of NFPA system
  • Fire extinguishing system plans / type of NFPA system
  • Smoke control system plans / analysis / detection / controls / operations

Plans shall be signed by a Minnesota registered engineer or National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) designer where required.

The following documents may be deferred submittals and are required prior to issuance of a permit:

  • Request for alternate materials or methods
  • International Code Council (ICC) Evaluation Service (ES) reports (if applicable)
  • Copy of State plan review letter on State licensed facilities (if applicable)

How Do I Apply for a Permit?

All permit applications must be submitted online through the online Accela permit system. Click the button below for application instructions.

Accela Permit System Instructions

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

An average time may vary anywhere between 2 days to 2 weeks and depends on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals. It may take longer.

Which Inspections Are Required?

All projects that require a permit also require an inspection of work. The types of inspections required are determined based on project criteria and are assigned within the online permitting system (Accela). Once you complete a permit application through the online permitting system, you will be provided with a list of required inspections and information about how to schedule an inspection. Fore more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.

How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check or credit card or with a U of M EFS account number (available for U of M departments). A total of all fees due will display in the Fees section of the online application once your permit application has been reviewed and fees have been invoiced.

Paying by Check

Fees assessed will be processed when BCD accepts your check. After payment, you will receive an e-mail that your permit has been issued and you may print your Permit and Inspection Report.

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department. Checks can be mailed or dropped off at:

University of Minnesota Building Code Department 
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Directions to our office can be found on the campus map.

Paying by Credit Card

You may pay by credit card only at the time you receive an e-mail stating that your permit is ready to be issued. Locate the permit number and pay the fees associated. Once the fees are paid, the permit status will reflect “Issued”. Print both the Permit and Inspection Report.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Enter a correct budget string when you are applying for the permit; you will be notified when the permit is approved. The fees will display as paid and you will be able to print the Permit and Inspection Report.

Which Documents Am I Required to Post on My Project Site?

All Inspection and Permit Reports are required to be posted at the job site. Inspectors will not provide the requested inspection without these posted documents.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

To print your permit documents:

  1. Visit our online permit system and sign in. 
  2. Click the Search Application Link from the Permit Application Home Page or from a link on the permit application page to locate your permit.
  3. Click on the Application ID.
  4. Click on the Reports link in the upper-right hand corner of the screen. The number in parentheses indicates the number of reports that are available to print.
  5. Click on the document name to open it and select the printer icon in the upper-left corner to print.