The University of Minnesota enforces the State of Minnesota Rules, Chapter 4717, Public Swimming Pool Rules. All swimming pools and special purpose/therapeutic pools must be in compliance with these rules.
Pool operators must:
- Obtain training and certification per Minnesota Rules
- Maintain swimming pools in safe and sanitary conditions
- Maintain current pools operator certification
- Monitor and document required daily tests
- Submit pool logs monthly to HSRM
- Report all pool related illness and injury to HSRM at (612) 626-6002 as soon as possible after notification
- Close pools whenever lifesaving equipment is not available
Note: Pools will be closed by HSRM when conditions endanger the health or safety of the users.
Construction on new or renovations to swimming pools may not begin until plans are submitted and approved by HSRM. Once pools are operational, inspection by HSRM is required prior to opening. HSRM will close pools that have been constructed or physically altered without approval of plans.