Application Requirements for Plumbing Permits

In accordance with the Minnesota State Plumbing Code (MSPC), permits are required for any installation, addition, extension, alteration or replacement of a plumbing system. Separate utility permits shall be obtained for any outside underground sewer, water, or septic system, or connection to a municipal utility system.  

Instructions and Information

Expand all

Which Projects Need a Plumbing Permit?

Permits are required for any installation, addition, extension, alteration or replacement of a plumbing system. Separate utility permits must be obtained for any outside underground sewer, water, or septic system, or connection to municipal utility system.

Common permitted plumbing work includes but is not limited to the following: 

  • Drainage, waste and vent
  • Plumbing fixtures
  • Water piping
  • Gas piping
  • Storm water systems
  • Sumps, flammable waste or grease interceptors
  • Medical gas system
  • Water conditioning
  • RPZ install, re-build, or replacement
  • Drinking fountains
  • Chemical waste and vent 

Separate Permit applications, plans and approvals are required for the following work:

  • Mechanical refrigeration
  • Fire suppression
  • Underground utilities
  • High pressure steam
  • Demolition
  • Process piping
  • Connections to public utilities
  • Work in public right of way
  • Water re-use systems
  • Mechanical gas piping

How Do I find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

This is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner's Rep. This is the employee at the University of Minnesota (CPM, FM, UConstruction, System Campus, Research and Outreach Centers) who is responsible to ensure that the work is ready for the permitting process to begin.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you (department, college, primary contractor, etc.).

Getting a Project or Work Order Number

You need only a University of Minnesota project number OR University of Minnesota work order number. Call Facilities Management Call Center 612-624-2900 for instruction to receive a project number. Only University of Minnesota Employees may apply for project numbers. Work order numbers should be obtained from your University Rep. If you are a contractor, please talk to your University Project Manager.

Which Documents Are Required to Receive a Permit?

The documents listed below are required at time of permit submittal so that Building Code Department (BCD) staff can complete their plan reviews and grant approval for your project. Permitting time will depend on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals.

Two complete sets of the following plans, specifications, and submittal documents for the work being performed are required at time of permit application

  • Completed online permit application
  • Description of work
  • Utility site plan
  • Floor plans / pipe sizing / fixture locations
  • Roof plans /roof drainage / sizing / isometric
  • Water riser isometric diagrams
  • Waste and vent isometric diagrams
  • Material specifications
  • Medical gas system (if applicable)
  • Gas riser isometric including BTUs

Plans shall be signed by Minnesota registered engineer or Minnesota master plumber. 

The following documents may be deferred submittals and are required prior to issuance of a permit:

  • Request for alternate materials or methods
  • International Code Council (ICC) Evaluation Service (ES) reports (if applicable)
  • SAC Letter from Metropolitan Council (if applicable)
  • Copy of State plan review letter on State licensed facilities (if applicable)

How Do I Apply for a Permit?

All permit applications must be submitted online through the online Accela permit system. Click the button below for application instructions.

Accela Permit System Instructions

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

An average time may vary anywhere between 2 days to 2 weeks and depends on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals. It may take longer.

Which Inspections Are Required?

All projects that require a permit also require an inspection of work. The types of inspections required are determined based on project criteria and are assigned within the online permitting system (Accela). Once you complete a permit application through the online permitting system, you will be provided with a list of required inspections and information about how to schedule an inspection. Fore more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.

Backflow Permitting Report

Please submit the Backflow Testing Form when testing is completed.

How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check or credit card or with a U of M EFS account number (available for U of M departments). A total of all fees due will display in the Fees section of the online application once your permit application has been reviewed and fees have been invoiced.

Paying by Check

Fees assessed will be processed when BCD accepts your check. After payment, you will receive an e-mail that your permit has been issued and you may print your Permit and Inspection Report.

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department. During COVID-19, checks can only be submitted via mail at the address below. Please also email BCD at [email protected] when you mail the check.

University of Minnesota Building Code Department 
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Directions to our office can be found on the campus map.

Paying by Credit Card

You may pay by credit card only at the time you receive an e-mail stating that your permit is ready to be issued. Locate the permit number and pay the fees associated. Once the fees are paid, the permit status will reflect “Issued”. Print both the Permit and Inspection Report.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Enter a correct budget string when you are applying for the permit; you will be notified when the permit is approved. The fees will display as paid and you will be able to print the Permit and Inspection Report.

Which Documents Am I Required to Post on My Project Site?

All Inspection and Permit Reports are required to be posted at the job site. Inspectors will not provide the requested inspection without these posted documents.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

To print your permit documents:

  1. Visit our online permit system and sign in. 
  2. Click the Search Application Link from the Permit Application Home Page or from a link on the permit application page to locate your permit.
  3. Click on the Application ID.
  4. Click on the Reports link in the upper-right hand corner of the screen. The number in parentheses indicates the number of reports that are available to print.
  5. Click on the document name to open it and select the printer icon in the upper-left corner to print.