Application Requirements for Utility Permits

In accordance with the Minnesota State Building Code (MSBC), permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any gas, mechanical, electrical, plumbing system. fire system or other equipment, which is regulated by the MSBC.

Instructions and Information

Expand all

Which Projects Need a Utility Permit?

Permits are required for any installation, addition, extension, alteration or replacement of utility systems for any outside underground sanitary or storm sewer, water main, mechanical piping, electrical duct bank/vault, and fire mains from the building to the municipal utility system.

Common permitted utility work includes but is not limited to the following: 

  • Drainage, waste and vent
  • Plumbing fixtures
  • Water piping
  • Gas piping
  • Storm water systems
  • Sumps, flammable waste or grease interceptors
  • Medical gas system
  • Water conditioning
  • RPZ install, re-build, or replacement
  • Drinking fountains
  • Chemical waste and vent 

Separate Permit applications, plans and approvals are required for the following work:

  • Mechanical refrigeration
  • Fire suppression
  • Underground utilities
  • High pressure steam
  • Demolition
  • Process piping
  • Connections to public utilities
  • Work in public right of way
  • Water re-use systems
  • Mechanical gas piping

How Do I find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

This is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner's Rep. This is the employee at the University of Minnesota (CPM, FM, UConstruction, System Campus, Research and Outreach Centers) who is responsible to ensure that the work is ready for the permitting process to begin.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you (department, college, primary contractor, etc.).

Getting a Project or Work Order Number

You need only a University of Minnesota project number OR University of Minnesota work order number. Call Facilities Management Call Center 612-624-2900 for instruction to receive a project number. Only University of Minnesota Employees may apply for project numbers. Work order numbers should be obtained from your University Rep. If you are a contractor, please talk to your University Project Manager.

What Information Is Required for My Permit (Detailed Description of Work)?

Building Permit Valuation

The applicant for a permit must provide an estimated permit value at time of application. Permit valuations must include the total value of all demolition work, including materials and labor, for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment, and permanent systems. 

Scope of Work

Please submit a project scope of work to include the following:

  1. Detailed description of what work is being done (pertaining to this application) on this project
  2. Building name and address spelled out from acronym
  3. Floor(s)
  4. Room numbers
  5. Other applicable information that further describes the location
  6. For properties not part of the contiguous campus, a registered land survey must be submitted (if applicable)
  7. Certificate of Pesticide Application
  8. Location of any private or public utilities on site (i.e. wells, septics, fuel tanks, utilities) must be provided
  9. For disconnection of private utilities, a utility permit is required
  10. Building foundations and structures must be completely removed as part of the demolitions

Individual trade permits should include additional details regarding specific trade-related work.

Which Documents Are Required to Apply for a Permit?

The documents listed below are required at the time of permit submittal so that the Building Code Department (BCD) staff can complete their plan reviews and grant approval for your project. Permitting time will depend on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals.

New Construction and Additions

Two complete sets of the following plans, specifications, and submittal documents for the work being performed are required at time of permit application: 

  • Completed online permit application
  • Soil analysis / geotechnical report
  • Land survey—if applicable
  • Civil plans (grading, drainage, utilities)
  • Landscape plans
  • Site plan
  • Architectural building plans / code analysis
  • Structural plans (structural analysis, design calculators)

Remodeling Renovations or Improvement

Two complete sets of the following plans, specifications, and submittal documents for the work being performed are required at time of permit application: 

  • Completed online permit application
  • Scope of work
  • Architectural building plans / floor plan (code analysis)
  • Structural plans (structural analysis, design calculations)—if applicable

For each type of project listed above, the following documents may be deferred submittals and are required prior to issuance of a permit:

  • Signed Special Inspections Form
  • SAC letter from Metropolitan Council
  • Energy calculations
  • Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement
  • Exiting / staging plan

How Do I Apply for a Permit?

All permit applications must be submitted online through the online Accela permit system. Click the button below for application instructions.

Accela Permit System Instructions

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

An average time may vary anywhere between 2 days to 2 weeks and depends on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the plan submittals. It may take longer.

Which Inspections Are Required?

All projects that require a permit also require an inspection of work. The types of inspections required are determined based on project criteria and are assigned within the online permitting system (Accela). Once you complete a permit application through the online permitting system, you will be provided with a list of required inspections and information about how to schedule an inspection. Fore more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.

How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check or credit card or with a U of M EFS account number (available for U of M departments). A total of all fees due will display in the Fees section of the online application once your permit application has been reviewed and fees have been invoiced.

Paying by Check

Fees assessed will be processed when BCD accepts your check. After payment, you will receive an e-mail that your permit has been issued and you may print your Permit and Inspection Report.

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department. During COVID-19, checks can only be submitted via mail at the address below. Please also email BCD at [email protected] when you mail the check.

University of Minnesota Building Code Department 
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

Directions to our office can be found on the campus map.

Paying by Credit Card

You may pay by credit card only at the time you receive an e-mail stating that your permit is ready to be issued. Locate the permit number and pay the fees associated. Once the fees are paid, the permit status will reflect “Issued”. Print both the Permit and Inspection Report.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Enter a correct budget string when you are applying for the permit; you will be notified when the permit is approved. The fees will display as paid and you will be able to print the Permit and Inspection Report.

Which Documents Am I Required to Post on My Project Site?

All Inspection and Permit Reports are required to be posted at the job site. Inspectors will not provide the requested inspection without these posted documents.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

To print your permit documents:

  1. Visit our online permit system and sign in. 
  2. Click the Search Application Link from the Permit Application Home Page or from a link on the permit application page to locate your permit.
  3. Click on the Application ID.
  4. Click on the Reports link in the upper-right hand corner of the screen. The number in parentheses indicates the number of reports that are available to print.
  5. Click on the document name to open it and select the printer icon in the upper-left corner to print.