Transport in Personal or University Vehicle

In general, movement or ground transport of regulated materials is covered by the Department of Transportation's (DOTs) Hazardous Materials Regulations only when they are considered to be “in commerce.” If a Division 6.2 infectious substance is transported in a personal or university (i.e., government) vehicle for use in University activities (projects, research, etc.) it is generally not considered to be “in commerce.”

Personnel who transport materials must:

  • Have a valid driver’s license
  • Be authorized to use a University vehicle and use a University vehicle when available
  • Use the proper containment and packaging materials en-route
  • Be trained and authorized to handle and transport hazardous materials within University property

Health, Safety, and Risk Management (HSRM) encourages the use of University-owned vehicles rather than personal vehicles when transporting materials off grounds to another UMN facility or collaborator*. The University also operates a courier service for transport for a nominal fee.

*Note: If using a personal vehicle to transport, the individual should consult with his/her personal insurance policy regarding liability and coverage for this usage.