Housing Sanitation

All University owned housing, including residence halls and apartments, must be maintained in compliance with environmental and public health and safety standards.

Campus Housing


University students and staff who reside in Residence Halls or apartments are responsible to maintain these spaces as outlined in the Housing and Residential Life (HRL) Contract Terms and Provisions.

At move-in and move-out, each resident and a Housing and Residential Life staff member must complete a room/apartment condition report.

Residents must contact their Residential Life Manager if any of the following conditions exist at any time:

  • Damage to buildings, walls, and other structures by fire, flood, decay, or otherwise.
  • Exterior walls with holes, breaks, and loose or rotting materials and/or peeling paint.
  • Deteriorating weatherproofing.
  • A clandestine lab site.
  • Accumulations of human or animal feces, rubbish, trash or junk.
  • Accumulations of objects/materials in dwelling unit to an extent that prevents emergency egress.
  • Any structure that is dangerous for further occupancy because of structural or sanitary defects.
  • Infestations of insects, vermin, fly larvae, or hookworm larvae.

Residential Life Management 

Residential Life management or staff must contact HSRM (612) 626-6002 if any of the conditions listed above exist within University owned housing.

HSRM Response and Assessment 

HSRM will respond to reports by Residential Life managers or residents regarding unsanitary or unsafe University housing facilities.

Public Health Hazard or Nuisance in Campus Housing 

If a public health hazard or nuisance is declared in University housing facilities:

  • HSRM will coordinate remediation and/or corrective actions with Residential Life and other university offices/departments.
  • If required, occupants will be relocated.
  • If occupant relocation occurs, re-occupancy of the housing facility must be approved by HSRM.