Drinking Water Quality

Regulations and Standards

Woman drinking water from a water fountain

Individuals must comply with applicable codes and standards regarding maintenance, operation, installation, or construction of any drinking water system on University property, to ensure that water intended for human consumption meets U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) water quality standards as specified in the National Primary Drinking Water Regulations.

The University will enforce the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) regulations for drinking water protection to ensure a safe and adequate supply of drinking water to the public. 

Drinking Water Wells

Installation of new wells intended for potable water supply must be constructed in consultation with HSRM and in accordance with MN Statutes, Chapter 1031, and Minnesota Rules, Chapter 4725.  

Community Sourced Water in Campus Buildings

All plumbing for drinking water must comply with the Minnesota Plumbing Code as applied by the University Building Codes Official. See Plumbing Permit Application for more information.  

Any construction or renovation project which results in the installation or addition of potable water lines will require water line disinfection and subsequent bacteriological testing by HSRM before approval to use is granted.

Drinking Water Complaints

The University enforces the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) regulations for safe and adequate drinking water protection.

How to Report a Drinking Water Complaint?

Contact Health, Safety, and Risk Management for complaints about drinking water at: (612) 626-6002 or [email protected].

How is a Drinking Water Complaint Evaluated?

HSRM investigates all drinking water complaints. In cases of suspect water contamination, HSRM may limit or cease food service operations, close drinking fountains, and remove service from vending machines attached to the water supply to obtain resolution. Any identified well water quality problems that may endanger public health will be promptly addressed by a certified well maintenance company with consultation and oversight of HSRM.

University Facilities Management must immediately notify HSRM when:

  • Chemical or microbial contamination of the drinking water supply is suspected
  • There is a long-term planned outage or water-main break
  • Other circumstances such as the failure of a backflow preventer which has resulted in water supply contamination