Application Requirements for Plumbing Permits

In accordance with the Minnesota State Plumbing Code (MSPC), permits are required for any installation, addition, extension, alteration or replacement of a plumbing system. Separate utility permits shall be obtained for any outside underground sewer, water, or septic system, or connection to a municipal utility system.  

Instructions and Information

Expand all

Which Projects Need a Plumbing Permit?

Commonly permitted plumbing work includes but is not limited to:

  • Drainage, waste and vent
  • Plumbing fixtures
  • Water piping
  • Gas piping
  • Storm water systems
  • Sumps, flammable waste or grease interceptors
  • Medical gas system
  • Water conditioning
  • RPZ install, re-build, replacement, or removal
  • Drinking fountains
  • Chemical waste and vent 
  • Water heaters
  • RPZ backflow testing (See below: When Do I Need a Backflow Testing Permit?)

Separate Trade Permit applications, plans and approvals are required for the following work:

  • Mechanical refrigeration
  • Fire suppression
  • Underground utilities
  • High pressure steam (State of Minnesota)
  • Demolition
  • Process piping
  • Connections to public utilities
  • Work in public right of way (Check with the City)
  • Water re-use systems
  • Mechanical gas piping

Which Documents Are Required to Receive a Permit?

The documents listed below are required at the time of permit submission to allow Building Code Department (BCD) staff to complete their review.

The following applicable documents must be uploaded with the permit application:

  • Complete set of plans, specifications, and submittal documents for work being performed
  • Description of work
  • Utility site plan
  • Floor plans / pipe sizing / fixture locations
  • Roof plans /roof drainage / sizing / isometric
  • Water riser isometric diagrams
  • Waste and vent isometric diagrams
  • Material specifications
  • Medical gas system (if applicable)
  • Gas riser isometric including BTUs

Plans shall be signed by Minnesota registered engineer or Minnesota master plumber. 

The following documents may be deferred submittals and are required prior to issuance of a permit:

  • Request for alternate materials or methods
  • International Code Council (ICC) Evaluation Service (ES) reports (if applicable)
  • SAC Letter from Metropolitan Council (if applicable)
  • Copy of State plan review letter on State licensed facilities (if applicable)

When Do I Need a Backflow Testing Permit?

A backflow testing permit is required for annual testing of all testable backflow devices. This is a “no fee” permit used to maintain a record of annual testing reports.

This permit should be used  by:

  • Outside contractors performing work and/or testing on supported or non-supported University buildings
  • University FM/District plumbers to report testing on a quarterly permit

Contact the BCD Plumbing Inspector with questions.

NOTE: If a device is found to be failing, a plumbing permit will be required to rebuild or replace.

A plumbing permit is required for RPZ install, re-build, replacement, or removal.

Please submit the Backflow Testing Form when testing is completed.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

The University Representative is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner’s Representative.  They are responsible to ensure that work is ready for the permitting process and may be from: Capital Project Management (CPM), Facilities Management (FM), UConstruction, a System Campus Facilities Department, or Research and Outreach Centers.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you.

Getting a Project or Work Task ID

The Project Number or Work Task ID is required prior to applying for a permit.  Contact your University Representative to get this information.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

Allow 2-4 weeks for permit approval. The time is based on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the submitted information.

Which Inspections Are Required?

The required inspections are based on the type of work being performed and will be identified during permit approval and documented on the Inspection Record Card when the permit is issued.

For more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.


How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check, credit card, or by University of Minnesota Enterprise Financial System (EFS). The fees due will display in the online application system when the permit has been reviewed and approved.

Paying By Check

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department and can be mailed to:

University of Minnesota Building Code Department
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

When the payment has been received an email will be sent stating that the permit is issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

Paying by Credit Card

You will receive an email that the permit is ready to be paid for.  When you complete the payment, the permit will be issued and the Permit and Inspection Record can be printed.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Select U of M Budget as the Payment Method when applying for the permit and enter the correct budget string information.  When the permit is approved the payment will be applied.  You will receive an email that the permit has been issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

Printing the Permit and Inspection Record

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID.
  4. Click on Reports in the menu at the top of the page.
  5. Select the report to print  and print the document. 

Printing the reviewed documents

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID
  4.  Select attachments under Record Info
  5. Click in the file name for the Type of Reviewed plans
  6. Print

The Permit, Inspection Record, and Reviewed, Stamped Plans are required to be onsite for inspections.