Application Requirements for Septic Permits

The University of Minnesota Building Code Department (BCD) is the authority having jurisdiction for University properties being served by a Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems (SSTS or septic system). BCD regulates the permitting and inspection of all septic systems to ensure compliance with the University Septic Design Standards when:

  • Repairing or modifying an existing septic system or component
  • Abandoning a tank or septic system
  • Installing septic tanks and/or soil treatment areas (drainfields, at-grades and mounds, etc.)
  • Making changes to a facility served by a STSS

A state SSTS license applicable to the type of work performed is required for any business that conducts work to design, install, repair, maintain, operate, or inspect a septic system.

Instructions and Information

Expand all

What Information Is Required for My Permit (Detailed Description of Work)?

Information required to apply for a septic permit.

  1. Detailed description of work to be performed: 
    1. Repair, replacement or new system
    2. Type of system and what building(s) it serves
    3. Number of tanks
  2. Signed Design*
  3. Soil Observation Log* 
  4. Abandonment form (if applicable for any existing system abandoned)* 
  5. Management Plan (if applicable)*

* Forms can be found on the "Forms, tools, and worksheets" page of the Onsite Sewage Treatment Program site.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

The University Representative is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner’s Representative.  They are responsible to ensure that work is ready for the permitting process and may be from: Capital Project Management (CPM), Facilities Management (FM), UConstruction, a System Campus Facilities Department, or Research and Outreach Centers.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you.

Getting a Project or Work Task ID

The Project Number or Work Task ID is required prior to applying for a permit.  Contact your University Representative to get this information.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

Allow 2-4 weeks for permit approval. The time is based on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the submitted information.

Which Inspections Are Required?

The required inspections are based on the type of work being performed and will be identified during permit approval and documented on the Inspection Record Card when the permit is issued.

For more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.


How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check, credit card, or by University of Minnesota Enterprise Financial System (EFS). The fees due will display in the online application system when the permit has been reviewed and approved.

Paying By Check

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department and can be mailed to:

University of Minnesota Building Code Department
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

When the payment has been received an email will be sent stating that the permit is issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

Paying by Credit Card

You will receive an email that the permit is ready to be paid for.  When you complete the payment, the permit will be issued and the Permit and Inspection Record can be printed.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Select U of M Budget as the Payment Method when applying for the permit and enter the correct budget string information.  When the permit is approved the payment will be applied.  You will receive an email that the permit has been issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

Printing the Permit and Inspection Record

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID.
  4. Click on Reports in the menu at the top of the page.
  5. Select the report to print  and print the document. 

Printing the reviewed documents

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID
  4.  Select attachments under Record Info
  5. Click in the file name for the Type of Reviewed plans
  6. Print

The Permit, Inspection Record, and Reviewed, Stamped Plans are required to be onsite for inspections.