Before You Begin
Allow pop-ups from this site before proceeding.
To complete the application, you will need:
- The University Representative or Project Manager name
- University of Minnesota Project Number or Work Task ID
- Project valuation (contract value)
- Applicable plans and/or documents
Instructions for the Online Application System
Create An Account (New Users)
Before using the Accela Online Permit System for the first time, you must create an account.
- Visit the Online Application System
- Click on Create An Account
- Complete the required information
- Select the Contact Type
- Complete the Contact Details
Apply for a Permit
- Log in to the Online Application System
- Click on Applications
- Select your permit type
- Complete the permit information and submit
- The permit will be reviewed
- Payment will be requested following the permit review
Pay Application Fees
Permit fees can be paid by check, credit card, or by University of Minnesota Enterprise Financial System (EFS). The fees due will display in the online application system when the permit has been reviewed and approved.
Paying by Check
Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department and can be mailed to:
University of Minnesota Building Code Department
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Directions to our office can be found on the campus map.
When the payment has been received an email will be sent stating that the permit is issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.
Paying by Credit Card
You will receive an email that the permit is ready to be paid for. When you complete the payment, the permit will be issued and the Permit and Inspection Record can be printed.
Paying by U of M EFS Number
Select U of M Budget as the Payment Method when applying for the permit and enter the correct budget string information. When the permit is approved the payment will be applied. You will receive an email that the permit has been issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.
Print Permit Documents
To print your permit documents:
- Visit our online permit system and sign in.
- Click Search Applications
- Select the Application ID.
- Click on Reports in the menu at the top of the page.
- Select the report to print and print the document.
Printing the reviewed documents
- Visit our online permit system
- Click Search Applications
- Select the Application ID
- Select attachments under Record Info
- Click in the file name for the Type of Reviewed plans
The Permit, Inspection Record, and Reviewed, Stamped Plans are required to be onsite for inspections.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Find My University Representative and Project Number?
Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)
The University Representative is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner’s Representative. They are responsible to ensure that work is ready for the permitting process and may be from: Capital Project Management (CPM), Facilities Management (FM), UConstruction, a System Campus Facilities Department, or Research and Outreach Centers.
If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you.
Getting a Project or Work Order Number
The Project Number or Work Task ID is required prior to applying for a permit. Contact your University Representative to get this information.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?
Allow 2-4 weeks for permit approval. The time is based on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the submitted information.
Which Inspections Are Required?
The required inspections are based on the type of work being performed and will be identified during permit approval and documented on the Inspection Record Card when the permit is issued.
For more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.