Application Requirements for Mechanical Permits

In accordance with the Minnesota State Mechanical Code (MSMC), permits are required for any installation, maintenance, alteration, and inspection of mechanical systems that are installed and utilized to provide control of environmental conditions and related processes within buildings, fuel gas piping systems, fuel gas equipment and appliances, and related accessories. 

Note for contractors: Mechanical permit applicants (contractors) are not required to be licensed by the State of Minnesota but are required to file a $25,000 mechanical contractor bond with the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) in order to contract to perform gas, heating, ventilation, cooling, air conditioning, fuel burning, or refrigeration work in Minnesota. The bond must be approved by DLI and written by a surety company licensed to do business in Minnesota. 

Instructions and Information

Expand all

Which Projects Need a Mechanical Permit?

Commonly permitted mechanical work includes:

  • Heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC)
  • Boiler
  • Ductwork
  • Low pressure steam (15# and under)
  • Pressure vessels (15# and under)
  • Hot and chilled water systems
  • Hydronics
  • Refrigeration / cooling
  • Kitchen ventilation
  • Fume hoods
  • Exhaust systems
  • Gas piping
  • Process piping
  • Temporary heating
  • Radon mitigation systems
  • Fuel fired equipment

Note: Kitchen hoods, hazardous exhaust systems, fire/smokes dampers, etc. may require separate Electrical Permits and Fire Permits.

Separate Permit applications, plans and approvals are required for the following work:

  • Demolition
  • Fire alarm controls
  • Underground mechanical utilities
  • Connection to public utilities
  • Electrical HVAC controls
  • Temporary heat

High pressure steam and ammonia permits are issued through the MN Department of Labor and Industry.

Which Documents Are Required to Receive a Permit?

The documents listed below are required at the time of permit submission to allow Building Code Department (BCD) staff to complete their review.

The following applicable documents must be uploaded with the permit application:

  • Description of work
  • Material specifications
  • Floor plans
  • Gas riser isometric including BTUs
  • Pneumatic controls
  • Process piping
  • Energy Code Compliance Documentation

The following documents may be deferred submittals and are required prior to issuance of a permit:

  • Request for alternate materials or methods
  • International Code Council (ICC) Evaluation Service (ES) reports (if applicable)
  • Copy of State plan review letter on State licensed facilities (if applicable)

What Is Process Piping?

Process piping includes piping or tubing which conveys gas, liquid, or fluidized solids and which is used directly in research, laboratory, or production processes.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

The University Representative is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner’s Representative.  They are responsible to ensure that work is ready for the permitting process and may be from: Capital Project Management (CPM), Facilities Management (FM), UConstruction, a System Campus Facilities Department, or Research and Outreach Centers.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you.

Getting a Project or Work Task ID

The Project Number or Work Task ID is required prior to applying for a permit.  Contact your University Representative to get this information.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

Allow 2-4 weeks for permit approval. The time is based on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the submitted information.

Which Inspections Are Required?

The required inspections are based on the type of work being performed and will be identified during permit approval and documented on the Inspection Record Card when the permit is issued.

For more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.


How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check, credit card, or by University of Minnesota Enterprise Financial System (EFS). The fees due will display in the online application system when the permit has been reviewed and approved.

Paying By Check

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department and can be mailed to:

University of Minnesota Building Code Department
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

When the payment has been received an email will be sent stating that the permit is issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

Paying by Credit Card

You will receive an email that the permit is ready to be paid for.  When you complete the payment, the permit will be issued and the Permit and Inspection Record can be printed.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Select U of M Budget as the Payment Method when applying for the permit and enter the correct budget string information.  When the permit is approved the payment will be applied.  You will receive an email that the permit has been issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

Printing the Permit and Inspection Record

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID.
  4. Click on Reports in the menu at the top of the page.
  5. Select the report to print  and print the document. 

Printing the reviewed documents

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID
  4.  Select attachments under Record Info
  5. Click in the file name for the Type of Reviewed plans
  6. Print

The Permit, Inspection Record, and Reviewed, Stamped Plans are required to be onsite for inspections.