Training must be completed and documented prior to operating any equipment that produces ionizing radiation. The Department of Radiation Safety (DRS) has produced a series of informational guides for the various types of equipment used at the University.
All operators must also complete the online training module, Radiation Safety for Radioactive Material Users, and x-ray diffraction operators must view the video tape Double Edge Sword, available at University libraries, the Health, Safety, and Risk Management department, or at most x-ray diffraction facilities.
Initial training of operators must include the following topics:
- Fundamentals of radiation safety
- Methods of controlling exposure
- Hazards of exposure
- Characteristics of gamma radiation
- Use of radiation survey instruments
- Use of personal dosimeters
- Equipment to be used
- Operating and emergency procedures
- Warning lights and interlocks
- Hazards associated with operation
- Inspection and maintenance of equipment
- Symptoms of overexposure
- Procedure for reporting actual or suspected overexposure