Application Requirements for Utility Permits

A Utility Permit must be obtained for site utilities on University of Minnesota Property relating to any municipal water, private water, fire service, public or private sewer system (septic), electric, gas and HVAC. 

Please contact BCD with any questions on utility ownership.


Instructions and Information

Expand all

Which Projects Need a Utility Permit?

Permits are required for any installation, addition, extension, alteration or replacement of utility systems for any outside underground sanitary or storm sewer, water main, mechanical piping, electrical duct bank/vault, and fire mains from the building to the municipal utility system.

Commonly permitted utility work includes but is not limited to the following:

  • Storm water systems
  • Sumps, flammable waste or grease interceptors
  • Sanitary Sewers
  • Water catchment and reclamation system
  • Gas main
  • Water main
  • Fire service lines
  • Chilled and hot water
  • Service lines for wells and septic
  • Steam condensate

Separate Trade Permit applications, plans and approvals are required for the following work:

  • Mechanical refrigeration
  • Fire suppression
  • Underground utilities
  • High pressure steam (State of Minnesota)
  • Demolition
  • Process piping
  • Connections to public utilities
  • Work in public right of way (Check with the City)
  • Water re-use systems
  • Mechanical gas piping

What Information Is Required for a Utility Permit?

Permit Valuation

The applicant for a permit must provide an estimated permit value at time of application. Permit valuations must include the total value of all demolition work, including materials and labor, for which the permit is being issued, such as electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing equipment, and permanent systems. 

Scope of Work

Please submit a project scope of work to include the following:

  1. Detailed description of what work is being done (pertaining to this application) on this project
  2. Other applicable information that further describes the location
  3. Location of any private or public utilities on site (i.e. wells, septics, fuel tanks, utilities) must be provided
  4. Show disconnection of Private Utilities on Plan
  5. Building foundations and structures must be completely removed as part of the demolitions

Individual trade permits should include additional details regarding specific trade-related work.

Which Documents Are Required to Apply for a Permit?

The documents listed below are required at the time of permit submission to allow the Building Code Department (BCD) staff to complete their plan reviews and grant approval of your project.

  • Civil plans (grading, drainage, utilities)
  • Landscape plans
  • Site plan

Site utility work may also require a grading permit.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand all

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Find My University Representative and Project Number?

Finding Your University Representative (University Rep)

The University Representative is a U of M contact on the project that may have the title of Project Manager, Project Coordinator, Team Manager or Owner’s Representative.  They are responsible to ensure that work is ready for the permitting process and may be from: Capital Project Management (CPM), Facilities Management (FM), UConstruction, a System Campus Facilities Department, or Research and Outreach Centers.

If you do not know who your University Rep is, contact the entity that hired you.

Getting a Project or Work Task ID

The Project Number or Work Task ID is required prior to applying for a permit.  Contact your University Representative to get this information.

How Long Does It Take to Get a Permit?

Allow 2-4 weeks for permit approval. The time is based on the complexity of the work and the completeness of the submitted information.

Which Inspections Are Required?

The required inspections are based on the type of work being performed and will be identified during permit approval and documented on the Inspection Record Card when the permit is issued.

For more information about inspections, visit our Inspections page.


How Do I Pay My Permit Fees?

Permit fees can be paid by check, credit card, or by University of Minnesota Enterprise Financial System (EFS). The fees due will display in the online application system when the permit has been reviewed and approved.

Paying By Check

Checks should be made payable to the U of MN Building Code Department and can be mailed to:

University of Minnesota Building Code Department
270 Donhowe Building
319 15th Ave SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455

When the payment has been received an email will be sent stating that the permit is issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

Paying by Credit Card

You will receive an email that the permit is ready to be paid for.  When you complete the payment, the permit will be issued and the Permit and Inspection Record can be printed.

Paying by U of M EFS Number

Select U of M Budget as the Payment Method when applying for the permit and enter the correct budget string information.  When the permit is approved the payment will be applied.  You will receive an email that the permit has been issued and you can print the Permit and Inspection Record.

How Do I Print My Permit Documents?

Printing the Permit and Inspection Record

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID.
  4. Click on Reports in the menu at the top of the page.
  5. Select the report to print  and print the document. 

Printing the reviewed documents

  1. Visit our online application system
  2. Click Search Applications
  3. Select the Application ID
  4.  Select attachments under Record Info
  5. Click in the file name for the Type of Reviewed plans
  6. Print

The Permit, Inspection Record, and Reviewed, Stamped Plans are required to be onsite for inspections.