Food Permits and Campus Events
Students at an event
Source: U of M Photo Gallery

The safety of your event is our primary concern. The University of Minnesota Building Code Department will review the safeguards for public health, safety, and welfare of public gatherings held on University property or within a University owned builiding.

In addition, permits and inspections may be required for your campus events. The following items indicate what kinds of activities and setups may require permits and inspections from BCD: 

  • Serving food
  • Setting up a tent
  • Adding a stage, platform, or bleachers may require a building permit
  • Providing heat or electricity to a space or cooking food may require a mechanical and/or electrical permit
  • Hosting inside a building not designated for public assembly may require a building permit

Contact the Building Code Department (BCD) with any questions 612-625-3318.