Using DEA Form 222 to Order Controlled Substances

When the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) grants the Registrant permission to use Schedule I or II (C-I or C-II) drugs they will send DEA Form 222 order forms.

The  Registrant* is responsible for securing the Forms 222 and retaining the executed and unexecuted forms. The  Registrant should make a list of the unique form numbers and record the date when each is used. Do NOT sign a Form 222 before the form is completed. The Form 222 is equivalent to a prescription pad.
*In the absence of the Registrant use the Power of Attorney Form to execute the Form 222.

To complete a Form 222:

  1. Complete the name and address information at the top using the DEA certificate address.
  2. Enter name, size, and quantity of controlled substance(s). The pharmacy will enter the National Drug Code.
  3. Enter last line completed.
  4. DEA Registrant sign and date at the bottom.
  5. Remove the back Purchaser's copy (blue) of the triplicate form before taking the Form 222 to the pharmacy. The pharmacy will keep both of the copies you give them.

To execute the order at the pharmacy and pick up the drugs, you will also need an EFS order form, a copy of the current Authorized Users Signature Log, and a photo ID.

When you return to the laboratory with the controlled substances, check the order to be sure you received what you ordered. Write a complete entry in your controlled substances disposition records for each controlled substance you received. Lock the controlled substances in the safe.

On the blue copy of the DEA Form 222, complete the two columns on the right side with quantity and date received. Make a copy of this completed Form 222 for the registrant's records. keep the original blue copy with the inventory records at the safe location.

Using DEA Form 222 to transfer Schedule II Drugs

To transfer a C-II controlled substance, like sodium pentobarbital, between laboratories, a DEA Form 222 order form is required. The receiving party must have a DEA Form 222. One laboratory is the "supplier", acting like a pharmacy. The receiving lab must "order" the sodium pentobarbital from the supplier using their DEA Form 222. The DEA Form 222 triplicate copies are distributed as follows:

  • Top Supplier's copy stays in the supplier Registrant's records
  • Middle DEA copy must be mailed to the Minneapolis DEA office
  • Bottom Purchaser's copy stays in the receiving Registrant's records kept at the safe location

Generally, transferring controlled substances between laboratories is not a good idea. It creates extra paperwork and looks like someone may be shuffling paperwork to cover diversion.